Monday, March 30, 2009

Mute Swan



I spotted this swan in the lake as I drove along Lakeshore Drive this morning, so I found a place to park and got out quickly and shot it. The swan didn't make a sound as I followed him/her around until I was fortunate enough to get this shot. LOL

This is the first time I've seen a swan on Lake Toho and I found it odd that it was alone. Normally swans travel in pairs. I found the following facts on All About Birds:

A native of northern and central Eurasia, the Mute Swan was introduced into North America to grace the ponds of parks and estates. Escaped individuals have established breeding populations in several areas, where their aggressive behavior threatens native waterfowl.

* Large, all-white waterfowl.
* Long, curved neck.
* Orange bill and black face.
* Size: 127-152 cm (50-60 in)
* Wingspan: 208-238 cm (82-94 in)
* Weight: 5500-14300 g (194.15-504.79 ounces)

Sexes look alike, male slightly larger and with larger knob on bill.

Not mute. Calls quiet and do not carry. A snorting "heorrr." Hisses aggressively. Wings make singing noise in flight.

As an introduced species it is of concern because of its effects on native wildlife. Its aggressive nature can disrupt the nesting of native waterfowl. It is protected in some states, but not others. Some states are attempting to control Mute Swan numbers.

* The Mute Swan is reported to mate for life. However, changing of mates does occur infrequently, and swans will remate if their partner dies. If a male loses his mate and pairs with a young female, she joins him on his territory. If he mates with an older female, they go to hers. If a female loses her mate, she remates quickly and usually chooses a younger male.


They seem so civilized! You can get more info at the above link.

8 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

My, aren't we 'educational'. LOL

The Trumpeter Swan that winter here have all flown---somewhere. North I believe.

Nice shot---look at all the different sea birds. MB

Jane Hards Photography said...

Swans beautiful as they are can be so vicous, especially the hissing ones. Great post.

Isadora said...

'tis possible that the swan was on a recon mission...I see too many birds in that photo so possibly he came to see if it was safe to bring a date :)

Clueless in Boston said...

You sure captured a lot of birds in one shot.

The fence in my Tuesday's post is right off Harvard Square; that my be why you couldn't place it in Boston:)

Mo said...

Still having trouble connecting to your site from your comments link. I wonder if anyone else is having this problem or if it is just me.

Small City Scenes said...

Are you coming back? Are you on vacation too? Just checking up on ya!! LOL MB

George Townboy said...

MB: Thanks for checking up on me! I'm going to be taking a little break, I just haven't gotten around to posting something to let people know. We'll call it my Spring Break, lol.

Janice Thomson said...

What a neat pic George!

@MB - your Trumpeter Swans are all here MB :) There is a particular area perfectly suited for their needs.